Google has compiled information for some time proving that local search results convert customers at an astonishing rate. The numbers are impressive. As many as 34 percent, or higher, of searchers found their way to a local store after searching on their mobile device. Once they arrive at their local store, they are more likely to make a purchase. Approximately 18 percent of those local searchers made a same-day purchase.
The Power of Local Search
Local search can drive sales and revenue. This is why paying attention to Local SEO is so important. However, there is more to local search than most business owners know. Local search builds on a foundation that includes a structurally solid website and relevant information. The following six design tips can help any business owner improve their rankings for local search.
1. Build landing pages for each location. Google’s algorithm indexes each relevant landing page and increases the probability of customers finding a desired product or service. The chances increase that anyone looking for one store will find the others.
2. Maximize structured data. All the main search engines look for HTML markers to determine a web page’s relevancy. Such data, like schema markup, can be added directly to the pages HTML. Websites should include information like location, address, telephone number, and other information that is relevant to its location.
3. Create content that speaks to local consumers. Marketers should pay attention to local keywords that users query. An example is using the keyword “restaurants in Los Angeles” versus “Los Angeles Restaurants.” The first term has greater impact on local search results. More traffic leads to more conversions.
4. Use internal linking to help simplify navigation. Pages that are difficult to find by search engine spiders will not show up in search results. Pay special attention to how the website structures internal linking. Develop an HTML sitemap and submit it to search engines.
5. Never forget to think, design, and develop around mobile search. Local and mobile searches join at the hip. Any company that wants to capitalize on mobile traffic most incorporate mobile-friendly digital assets. Responsive design is an excellent solution.
Google prefers websites with responsive design elements. Responsive design automatically adjusts to any mobile device screen size. Mobile search will only increase in the coming years, and Google rewards any element that enhances the user’s experience.
6. Pay attention to technical considerations. Make sure Google and Bing can index the site. A website should be easy to crawl. Google offers Analytics which is a free service that offers incredible insights about customer traffic.
Consult with the Experts
Optimizing for local search is the key to ranking high for local search results. No one has all the information because SEO is an ever-changing landscape. Beyond one’s own knowledge, there are experts who can advise website owners about the merits and nuances of optimizing for local search.