No matter what size your business is, having a strong online presence can make or break your brand. In fact, learning how to effectively position your brand in search engine results is one of the most valuable skills you can learn. A high search engine ranking means more visibility and increased traffic to your website. To help you get started, here are 7 quick local SEO hacks for the SEO newbie:
1. Start by optimizing your website content. When it comes to internet marketing, your website is one of your most biggest assets. Ensuring that the information on your site is properly optimized is the key to higher search result rankings. Here are a few simple tips to help you with this task:
– Domain name. When choosing a domain name, try to focus on your location and business type. For example, an Austin-based business called Mickey’s Motors might use the domain mickeysmotorsaustin.com.
– Page titles. As you title each page of your website, try to incorporate keywords that identify your business, its location and the services it provides.
– Incorporate local offerings. When generating content for your website, make sure that your website copy includes as much information as possible about your local area. This may include nearby sports teams, landmarks or other things that can associate your business with its neighborhood.
2. Maintain business listings on local websites. Another highly effective way to boost your search engine rankings is to use local websites to increase the visibility of your business. This includes sites like YP, Yelp, Yellowpages, Google, Facebook, etc. Not only is it important to have your business listed, but make sure to keep this information updated. As search engines become more advanced, they use sites like these to develop a greater understanding of your business and its relation to the local web. If your business is not listed or has outdated information listed, this can negatively impact your search engine rankings.
3. Use appropriate links. The links from other related websites to yours, or vice versa, play a significant role on search engine rankings. These links can help make or break the online credibility of your business. While back-linking services may seem like a good idea at first, they can ultimately damage your online presence over time. A few tips to keep in mind:
– Regularly share links to your website via popular social media platforms. Encourage users or fans to share the information as well.
– Include links to various pages on your website in each newsletter or email you send your customers.
– Create a directory of local resources. This is a great way for you to link to local, authoritative sites. Invite those businesses to to return the favor.
4. Encourage online reviews. Encourage customers to leave feedback online. These reviews can help build the online visibility and credibility of your business. Responding to this online feedback is another great way to increase your visibility and interact with your online audience.
5. Maintain a social media presence. This may be obvious, but maintaining a strong presence on popular social media sites can positively impact your online visibility. The more active you are on these sites, the more likely you are to attract more followers. Keep in mind that each follower is a prospective customer.
6. Solicit media coverage. Having your business covered in the local news can have a long-term impact on your business’ search engine rankings. Not only can coverage like this elevate your brand, but it can also increase its credibility as it is now being supported by a reputable third-party source.
7. Consider a blog. Adding a blog to your website is another great way to drive local traffic and boost your local SEO ranking. Consider covering nearby sporting events, neighborhood happenings and other relevant topics that link your business to the local area.
Mastering the art of SEO may seem intimidating at first, but it does not have to be. Follow these 7 simple hacks and you will be well on your way to stronger rankings.